The Friends is seeking a qualified individual to join our team of professionals in a fun, fast-paced, and dedicated office environment.
Open position: Vice President of Advancement & External Affairs
The Friends of the Public Garden (the Friends) is one of the oldest parks advocacy organizations in the nation, formed in 1970 by concerned Boston citizens when the Public Garden and Boston Common were almost beyond saving. The mission of the Friends is to preserve, protect and enhance Boston’s first public parks — the Boston Common, the Public Garden, and Commonwealth Avenue Mall, in partnership with the City of Boston Parks and Recreation Department. The Friends mobilizes advocacy for parks protection, provides ongoing care of trees, sculpture, fountains and other park elements, and conducts major improvement projects in the parks. The Friends has many active members who enjoy our annual social events and educational programs. The office is conveniently located in Beacon Hill, at 69 Beacon Street directly across from the Public Garden and Boston Common.
The Vice President of Advancement & External Affairs is a new position at the Friends of the Public Garden. As noted above, this is a pivotal moment for the Friends as the organization gets ready to publicly launch its 50th Anniversary Campaign. The Friends has an opportunity to elevate its brand and fundraising program overall, which the Vice President will lead and oversee. The Vice President will serve as a thought partner to the President and, when appropriate, will stand in for her for events, public speaking engagements and more. During the first three months, the Vice President will be responsible for conducting a comprehensive assessment of the development and communications departments and presenting recommendations for enhanced strategic alignment, outreach and engagement and for growing membership and fundraising overall. They will work closely with both teams and the President to capitalize on the current momentum and help take the organization to a new level.
• Leadership and Staff Management
• Collaborate with the President on all matters relating to fundraising, communications and external affairs
• Work closely with the Board and Committees as needed
• Serve as a spokesperson for the organization
• Oversee and lead the Development and Communications team members, 4 in total
• In collaboration with the President and Development and Communications teams, set the fundraising strategy for growth for the organization and oversee its execution
• Establish appropriate goals and plans to take fundraising to new heights
• Lead and manage the 50th Anniversary Campaign effort
• Staff the Campaign and Membership & Development Committees
• Manage a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects
• In collaboration with the President, the Development and Communications teams, and the external PR agency, set and implement the strategy for enhancing external relations, outreach and engagement, elevating the brand and growing membership
• In collaboration with the President, attend external events and serve as an ambassador for the organization
• Work with the President to build and grow relationships with the City of Boston and other elected officials
• Oversee the creation of the overall messaging for the organization
• Passion for FOPG and ability to articulate the mission
• 10+ years development experience, with at least 6 years in leadership roles, including campaign experience
• Proven ability to build and sustain donor relationships, record of securing 6+-figure gifts
• Prospect management and pipeline development expertise
• 7+ years communications and/or external relations experience, including media experience
• Expertise in and strong understanding of social media platforms
• Strong staff management experience
• Success partnering with senior leadership and volunteer leadership
• Appreciation for and ability to work with multiple and diverse constituents
• Innovative and strategic, with creative instinct
• Highly collaborative
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to: FOPG@developmentguild.com.
No phone calls please.
To see photo albums from events, and obtain more information about the Friends visit us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and our website.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Friends is an equal employment opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit harassment and discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy or related medical conditions, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgendered status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.