Thank you for joining the Boston Common Master Planning team for Open House #3.
We’ve collected your feedback on proposed improvements to Boston Common in four open-discussion forums: Visitor Activities and Play, Park-wide Strategies for Improvements, Performances and Active Recreation, and Gateways and Edges. You can view presentation materials and recordings here.
- Develop informational handout with park map and enhance interpretation at the Visitor and Information Center
- Provide visual orientation using signs and design elements to help visitors find special features/destinations
- Manage maintenance and care
- Increase shade while maintaining sightlines and a healthy lawn
Events and Park Amenities
- Improve tree cover and seating options at Parkman Bandstand
- Provide events programming and integrated support infrastructure
- Balance permitting of events in high-use areas with greenspace care
- Coordinate style and locations throughout the park
- Add more benches looking inward to the Parade Ground
- Offer a size compatible with all types of dogs
- Ensure resilient surface material
- Provide an accessible route to the Shaw 54th Memorial (Accessibility study previously completed will be incorporated into the Master Plan)
- Increase access to the Central Burying Ground
- Organize and announce arrival at Park Street Plaza/MBTA station
- Develop a plan for improvements to Boylston Street Station and Deer Park Maintenance Yard
- Coordinate operational and maintenance access with pedestrian safety
- Outline park maintenance and management guidelines
- Spring 2021: Master Plan launch & public comment period.