Brewer Fountain Plaza Renovation
Brewer Fountain Plaza on Boston Common surrounds a one-of-a-kind bronze casting of a sculpture created for the 1855 World’s Fair in Paris that was donated to Boston by Beacon Hill merchant Gardner Brewer. It was installed on the Common near Beacon Street in 1868 and moved to its current location near Tremont and Park Streets in 1917.
Over the years the fountain, the plaza and the adjoining parkland fell into disrepair. The Boston Parks & Recreation Department restored the fountain in 2010.
The Friends of the Public Garden launched a privately funded, $4 million companion project to revitalize the plaza and the parkland leading up to the State House. Phase one of the project, the largest ever untaken by the Friends, was completed in 2012.
The work has transformed the busy southeast corner of the Common, creating a vibrant urban gathering spot with café tables and chairs, quality food, lunchtime piano music, chess and checkers, a reading area, and weekly summer jazz concerts. In addition, the adjacent Liberty Mall has been enhanced by planting new trees, restoring turf, repairing paths, and installing new curbing.
In 2014, the final phase of the project will commence. We will add greenspace and trees, reduce the scale of Lafayette Mall along Tremont Street, and restore the historic iron boundary fence just below the fountain plaza (ending at the Visitors Center) to reclaim this area as parkland separated from the busy street.
A special matching challenge to complete the Brewer project
In June of 2013, the Friends launched a campaign to raise the additional $850,000 it needed to complete the Brewer Fountain Plaza project and to pay for 2013 plaza operations. The campaign was being spearheaded by generous matching challenge pledges of $200,000 each by the Lynch Foundation and Barbara and Amos Hostetter and of $250,000 by the Friends Green and White Ball Committee. The response to this triple-matching campaign from the community was quick and enthusiastic! Friends President Anne Brooke said, “We are enormously grateful to the Lynch Foundation, the Hostetters, and the Ball Committee. Their leadership and generosity will help assure that we can complete this transformative project.”
The Friends would like to wholeheartedly thank all who contributed to this final campaign and to the entire project, from the very beginning in 2008. We look forward to updating this space in 2014 with information and photos of the final phase of construction. For more information at anytime please contact us at (617) 723-8144 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!